5th December 2023
Launch of the new Volunteer Search Site on International Volunteer Day 2023
Today, 5th December is International Volunteer Day. An occasion for us all to pay tribute to volunteers worldwide. The theme for this year is “If Everyone did...” focussing on collective action – if everyone volunteered the world would be a better place.
With that in mind, we’re excited to launch the new volunteer search site to be part of this change and to make it easier for anyone and everyone to volunteer.
This redevelopment has been a joint project between Volunteer Scotland and the Digital Services Team at SCVO (Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations). Over many months of development and beta testing, we’ve created an accessible, user friendly and inspiring website. Wherever possible, we’ve put users in control.
- Weblink: volunteerscotland.net simply becomes volunteer.scot
- Design: we have dramatically updated the overall design of the website. We wanted to introduce more colour, graphics, and images to draw volunteers in and allow organisations and groups to add more than just text when advertising.
- Search function: the updated intelligent search box makes searching simpler and faster than ever.
- Beyond Opportunities: new guidance information to support volunteers has been added e.g. the benefits of volunteering and awards and qualifications.
- My Volunteer Account: providing an even more personalised experience for the volunteer allowing them to manage their volunteer journey.
Adding your content
We’ve also made it easier for users (volunteers and volunteering involving organisations) to add their own content to the website, specifically Events requiring volunteers and Volunteer Stories.
Organisations can now advertise their upcoming events that need volunteers to make them happen. The new online form makes it easy for you to add your event and highlight the related volunteering opportunities you have available to help make your event a success.
Volunteer Stories can now be uploaded by the volunteer or organisation straight to the website. There are options to add header and listing images as well as videos if that is your preferred way to tell your volunteer story.
For the best results and to make your opportunity stand out, we highly recommend you upload photos, images, and video. Please only add your logo on your organisation’s profile.
The Volunteer Search Site upgrade and relaunch is a key action from Scotland’s Volunteering Action Plan. More information on the plan, action groups and more can be found here: volunteeringactionplan.co.uk
A big thanks to all of you who’ve been using (and testing) these new features ahead of this launch. For everyone else, we hope you enjoy this upgraded experience.