Sma' Shot Day
2 July 2022
When We Need You
About Sma' Shot Day
Paisley’s annual Sma’ Shot Day celebrations is back and is looking for volunteers to deliver an exciting and fun live programme for the first time since 2019 on Saturday 2nd July.
Sma’ Shot Day is a colourful and charismatic celebration of Paisley’s proud heritage of community activism and togetherness. The day marks the weavers’ historic victory over the ‘corks’ (the middle men between the factory owners and the weavers) for payment for the crucial, but unseen, sma' shot thread that bound together the Paisley shawls.
This year led by the Charleston Drum, the local community will weave its way through the town centre with a proud parade of traditional and new banners. The symbolic ‘Burning of the Cork’ will have a fiery display as an effigy of the infamous ‘middlemen’ meets its end!
The whole day will be a celebration for Paisley ‘Buddies’ and visitors alike with live music and dance, a lively Makers Market, arts and crafts, aerial workshops and so much more.
Examples of tasks undertaken as an event volunteer:
- Welcoming Host - Welcome event guests to the tea dance, check guest registration and tickets, assist event leads with other relevant tasks.
- Workshop Assistant - Assist workshop leads with the workshop guestlists and ticket checks, help with workshop activities, resetting and cleaning workshop area before, after and in-between the workshops.
- Parade support - Provide support to the community groups who are walking in the parade, make sure the parade walkers, banners and structures are looked after.
- Event Point of Contact - Act as a point of contacts to the event visitors. Main duties will be to assist event visitors with event information and site directions.
- Other duties will include - help distribute event programmes, welcome and guide event guests, assist event staff on the day with minor tasks.
About Renfrewshire Council Events Team
Renfrewshire is host to much-loved events that capture imagination, examine issues important to society, and attract visitors across Scotland. The backdrop to Renfrewshire events is stunning natural and built heritage, providing a unique stage and showcasing Renfrewshire’s destination potential well beyond a local audience.
Our vision at Renfrewshire Council is to deliver high-quality events through socially-engaged practice, delivering positive and memorable experiences for residents and visitors, contributing positively to the local economy, reinforcing the council’s values and positioning Renfrewshire as a great place to visit, work and learn. Highlights of the current programme include the Paisley Halloween Festival, Paisley Food and Drink Festival, and the annual Spree festival, as well as old favourites such as Sma' Shot Day and the annual Christmas Lights Switch-ons throughout the area.
I want to volunteer!
This button opens to an online volunteer application page