Police advice for volunteering safely during coronavirus
20 April 2020
The Scottish Government and Police Scotland have provided brief guidance to ensure the safety of volunteers and those they're helping during coronavirus.
Police Scotland have confirmed that they will not be checking up on why people are out and about if they’re volunteering. Volunteers shouldn’t worry about wearing badges or certificates to justify their whereabouts.
At this time, the Police are still very concerned about fraudsters and scammers taking advantage of people.
The following advice is helpful for volunteers and those they are helping:
- Do not place yourself in compromising positions where you may feel unsafe, for instance helping late at night
- Be aware that if you are helping someone you don’t know personally, they may not want to share personal details with you like phone numbers
- You should also warn those you are helping not to let strangers into their home – and not to give strangers money under any circumstances. See our guidance on paying and being paid during coronavirus
- Vulnerable residents may find themselves more at risk from fraudsters. Sign up to Neighbourhood Watch Scotland alerts to find out about scams in your area and share this through your groups and networks
- If you are receiving voluntary help do not share financial details like credit or debit card numbers or personal information. See our guidance on paying and being paid during coronavirus
- If someone you don’t know calls at your home, always ask for ID and always ensure you are comfortable sharing details like your phone number or address
- Only provide information on a need to know basis and if you have seen ID. Do not feel pressured into providing information
- If you have doubts about those who are approaching you, and are concerned, it is advised that you don’t engage, and report serious suspicious behavior to the police
- Remember that genuine volunteers have been instructed not to enter your home
Do you have advice in this context that you'd like share? Please contact email@example.com