This project is all about connecting with communities, finding meaningful experiences and telling personal stories. By documenting people’s volunteer journeys, we hope to gain a better insight into volunteers’ experiences and help to inspire others to get more involved in their communities.
Our daily interactions with people around us can have a lasting effect on who we are, how we see the world and what we hold dear. Volunteering can play a big part in how people choose to spend their time, who they engage with and what issues they decide to act upon, which in turn will shape their attitudes, values and connections – with other people as well as with their direct or wider community.
Volunteering offers an opportunity to connect on many levels by:
- > Getting involved with issues close to your heart
- > Participating in the activities of your community
- > Taking ownership of what’s going on in your community
- > Making a difference in other people’s lives
- > Lending a helping hand
- > Showing solidarity and support for people less fortunate than yourself
- > Crossing the road – meeting people in your community, getting involved with groups you never knew existed, talking to someone that shares your passion or engaging with someone who has a completely different opinion to you
- > Re-connecting with an interest of yours, something that’s important to you and forms a part of your identity
- > Learning about other people and their lives, cultures, challenges and dreams